First of all, wherever you are in your parenting journey, congratulations! I’m Jessica Walters (née Taffet), a birth and postpartum doula serving growing families throughout Central Vermont and the Upper Valley of Vermont and New Hampshire. Welcome to the internet home of my doula practice. As a doula, my goal is to support you during your pregnancy, during your labor and birth, and while you are bonding with your newborn during the postpartum period. I don’t have any preconceived notions about what you should be experiencing or the parenting decisions you make during the childbearing year. My job is to help you create an internal and external environment that feels safe and rewarding as you navigate this season of life.
A little about my background: My first job as a teenager was as a mother’s helper. I became enthralled with the world of pregnancy and newborn care, and gained many invaluable experiences babysitting and nannying throughout my high school and college years. As a history major in college, I collected intergenerational oral histories of women’s experiences with birth and new parenthood. During my last semester of college, I completed my birth doula training through DONA International, and the following year I completed my postpartum doula training, also through DONA. I began working in the birth world full-time in 2014, and have learned so much from the wonderful families I have had the honor of serving! In addition to my private doula practice, I worked as a doula for Washington County Mental Health from March 2015 – June 2018. Following a several year hiatus during my own transition into motherhood, I am excited to be practicing again as of the fall of 2021.
When I’m not working as a doula, I enjoy cooking on my 1930s wood fired cookstove, keeping up with my 2-year-old daughter, and attempting to continue the many crafting projects that I have going at any given moment.
Training and Continuing Education:
- Birth Doula Training with Rina Crane, DONA International (2017) *Audited as a refresher course as I originally completed this workshop in January 2013*
- Reiki Levels 1 & 2 training at Washington County Mental Health, Barre, VT (2017)
- Anatomy and Physiology I & II, Community College of Vermont (2016-2017)
- Postpartum Nutrition and Meal Planning with Lisa Mase of Harmonized Cookery (2016)
- When Survivors Give Birth: Understanding and Healing the Effects of Early Sexual Abuse on Childbearing Women with Penny Simkin (2016)
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program with Karen Strange (2016)
- Internship at Well Within Midwifery, Montpelier VT ( 2014-2015)
- Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders with Sandra Wood (2016)
- Breastfeeding Basics for Doulas, Lactation Education Resources (2014)
- Postpartum Doula Training with Ann Grauer, DONA International (2014)
- Birth Doula Training with Rina Crane, DONA International (2013)